I have just read a post from Zach Holman about the software deployment.
In his blog, he mention about how to deploy a software, to make our work be stress-free:
“Your deploys should be as boring, straightforward, and stress-free as possible”
There is no step-by-step guidance but He give us a good approach about to getting a better deployment process:
- Have good tests. You do not need to scare & waiting for the deployment status.
- Feature Flags. You can test your feature on the production environment ASAP. -> reduce the risk of production issue.
- Review your code early & often
- Branching is not about development. It’s about deployment also.
- Deploy your branch before merging it to master. You won’t want to change anything after push something to master branch.
- Automate your deployment. Don’t repeat yourself
- Everything need a process, define one & follow it.
- Check your work. Is your site still up ?
- And more…
You can check the post here: https://zachholman.com/posts/deploying-software